Principal of the Year
NCSMA and NCSMAA officers recognize the importance of the principal’s role with the annual Principal of the Year Award. The winner will be recognized at the Institute’s Awards Brunch.
Mail nomination letters to:
North Carolina Scholastic Media Association
Hussman School of Journalism and Media
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
284 Carroll Hall, CB#3365
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3365
Or send nomination materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Selection will be made by the director and a panel of adviser officers.
Every school should examine the following criteria, patterned after those of national scholastic press associations’ principal awards:
- The principal has served in that position at the school for a minimum of three years.
- The principal provides support to more than one publication.
- The principal nurtures scholastic journalism principles, especially the First Amendment rights of advisers and students.
- The principal provides support by giving both time and actual help in providing the physical and technological needs of the journalism program.
- The principal recognizes the time demands placed upon advisers by the production of quality publications and works to make time for journalistic excellence.
- The principal supports the professional growth of advisers in every way possible.
- The principal supports the educational growth of students by encouraging them to attend journalism conventions, seminars, conferences and institutes.
- The principal supports the academic standards of the journalism and publications production courses, as well as the enrollment of students in those courses.
- The principal supports the school’s publications’ joining and receiving critiques from state, regional and national scholastic press organizations.
- The principal is nominated by a journalism teacher or publication adviser at his or her school, and that person provides specific evidence of the principal’s